Green Building: Going…Going…Green!
4. Most exterior house lighting will be fluorescent, which is about four times more efficient than incandescent.
5. HomeTown is designed to encourage pedestrian and bicycle activity by providing the opportunity (subject to market demand) for many commercial, retail, employment, child care, and recreational activities to be within walking distance of the homes in the Village Center.
6. PACE, the provider of public suburban transportation, has collaborated in the design so that HomeTown will be served on the inside with public bus transit with connections to RTA commuter trains, major employment centers, and major commercial centers.
7. HomeTown uses native grasses and landscape materials where possible to minimize maintenance, watering, fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides.
8. And at HomeTown all construction waste is recycled.
XI. Energy Conservation of Homes
The Basic Approach - Synergistic Systems approach: 1+1=3
A. Synergy: Each subsystem accomplishes multiple objectives
B. Developed structural, insulation, and heating systems that don't significantly add to the cost of structure, but on net save a lot of heating cost.
C. Heating/Cooling System Design
I. Calculate all the heat losses for each major building component
II. Use Architectural Energy Corp. REM Design computer program.
III. REM also projects annual heating and cooling costs.
IV. REM also lets us quickly determine the effect of changing component specifications.
D. Method: Reduce all components of heat loss:
III. Example-an uninsulated basement is 50% of heat loss in a well-insulated home
E. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple and Small
I. If it costs a lot, we find another way.
II. Basic Components of the System
III. Framing System: 2x4 @ 16" or 24" o.c.
a. Optimum Value Engineering Details
Continued on next page
More by Perry Bigelow
- A Developer's Perspective on Healthy Communities
- The Builder-Developer as a Steward of God's Resources
- Builder of the Year Acceptance Speech
- Building and Development Philosophy: Cultural and Environmental Sustainability
- 13th Annual Affordable Comfort Conference
- 1st Annual National Green Building Conference
- Bibliography - Neighborhood Planning, Community & Ecology
- The Spirituality of Sustainability
- Stewardship of Creation
- God and Money
- Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger
- Excerpts from "Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community"
- Devotional - Listening to God Daily
- Bibliography for "God and Money" and "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger"